“There are ‘friends’ who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother” (Prov.18: 24). This program emphasizes celebrating the gift of love between friends and our friendship with God.
Questions About Love
- How should a husband love his wife? Each man must love his wife as he loves himself. Ephesians 5:33
- Give the Scripture reference for the following: “For this is how God loved the world: He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- Who said, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God?” Ruth to her mother–in–law Naomi. (Ruth 1:16)
- What two Old Testament characters took an oath of friendship? David and Jonathan. 1 Samuel 20
- How should we love our neighbor? As ourselves. (Luke 10: 27)
- Jesus gave us a new commandment. What was it? “Love each other as I have loved you.” John 13:34
- What is the greatest love? “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” John 15:13
- How is our love measured? By how we treat others. (Matthew 10:42)
- What does our love for others prove? That we are Jesus’ disciples. (John 13:35)
A few weeks in advance, organize a “Secret Friend” gift exchange. This is the same concept as “Secret Santa.” Small gifts are exchanged anonymously each week until the reveal day. Instruct the women to place their gift, with only the recipient’s name on the package, into a basket. During the meeting one of the women can act as “Santa” and distribute the gifts.
Spin the Bottle Game
This is the same concept as the traditional spin the bottle game. However, when the bottle points at someone, the person who spun the bottle says something nice about that person and gives them a Hershey Kiss®.
A Sweet Craft
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Hearts
Strawberries (about 4 per woman)
Semi–sweet chocolate morsels
Red sparkle gel from Wilton
Take the stem out of the strawberries and cut them in half. Place halves side by side to form a heart and insert tooth pick to hold the heart form together. Heat the chocolate morsels and add a tablespoon of oil for smoother consistency. Pour over the strawberry heart. When it hardens, pour the chocolate over the top and drizzle with the red sparkle gel. For further instructions, check Pinterest®.
A True Friend
We find loneliness everywhere. People feel cut off from others. Often being in a crowd just emphasizes the loneliness that we feel. We all need a friend that will accept us no matter what, one who will stick by us in good times and bad times
We often forget that we already have a friend who longs to be closer than a brother, a friend who is better than all others. A friend who is the one and only true friend who sticks with us no matter what we are facing. That friend is Jesus. We read in Proverbs 18:24, “There are ‘friends’ who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.” We need to acknowledge that Jesus is the one to turn to when we need to talk, vent and connect.
We can spend most of our lives trying to find that perfect friend. We want someone who is a good listener, trustworthy, honest, dependable and loyal. However, instead of wishing for that perfect friend, we should seek to be a perfect friend to someone who needs it. Ask God to reveal to you who that is and take on the challenge of being a true friend.
God is our one true friend. He loves us unconditionally. He loved us before we were even born. He loves us today and will love us tomorrow. That love will never change. We read in Romans 8:37–39, “No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” God is the perfect friend. We should look to Him and reflect Him in our friendships with one another.