- What are you grateful for today, this week and this year?
- What makes you grumble?
- How has God blessed you this year?
- Would you be willing to help others who are in need? Why? Why not?
Make a Blessing Basket
God’s abundant blessings in our lives must flow to others. Christians are called to be the hands and feet of Jesus Christ. As we love others with actions and in truth, people can find the love of God in us and through us. Making a blessing basket is one of ways to share the love of God with others. There are many ideas to do that on a limited budget.
- Ask the women to bring one ingredient for a cupcake recipe
- Make the cupcakes together as a group
- Place small signs on the cupcakes that read: God bless you, Happy Thanksgiving, Many blessings, Jesus loves you.
- Distribute these to the police or fire departments, neighbors, corps members and their families.
A Bag of Kindness
- Choose a target group, such as seniors, the homeless, shelter residents, cancer patients, veterans, local volunteers, neighbors. Pray over the bags.
- Make a list of needed items according to the target group.
- Seniors–cough drops, snack items, canned food, hygiene items
- The homeless–socks, sanitizers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, granola bars, tissues.
- Shelter residents—Bible, Christian magazine/mini booklet, keychain, pouch, hygiene kits.
- Cancer patients—hat, sanitizer, word search, Chapstick, stuffed animal, blanket.
Deliver Food Baskets
- Invite corps members to donate canned/boxed food for a month.
- Put together food baskets, including a card with message of encouragement and invitation to attend the corps.
- Deliver the baskets to families in need and include a prayer and information about Sunday services and programs for children.
God’s Abundant Blessings
Read Psalm 8.
It is an undeniable truth that God is the Creator of the universe and the Governor of all things. We read in Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” He created everything, and everything is His. Psalm 8 is a beautiful song of praise confirming that God is the Creator. Listen again to verses 3 through 6: “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet.”
Why does God care for human beings? Why is He mindful of us? Verse 5 tells us that it’s because He values us more than anything else in the world, so much so that He appoints us to rule over all His creation. God values us more than anything else and because He does, He provides all we need. Whatever we may have on earth, we have not achieved on our own. It is a gift from God. James 1:17 “Every good and perfect gift is from above …” It should be our natural response to give thanks to Him and to share His blessings with others.
Jesus often taught the people in parables. In Matthew 5:35–40, He told them, “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” When we feed the hungry, take care of the sick, spend time with a lonely neighbor and share what we have with people in need, we are following the Lord’s instructions, and He is pleased and glorified through our good deeds.
In this beautiful month of harvest, won’t you spread the love of God with others by sharing what you have? It can be a blessing basket, your musical talents, or just spending time with someone. The more you give, the more you are glorifying God. and the more He will fill you with His abundant blessings.